With very high temperatures forecasted for the next several days, PSE&G is prepared to meet the demand for additional power. Their crews are ready to respond to service interruptions should they occur.
Be aware that hot and sticky weather can lead to more energy usage and higher electric bills. Save energy and money this summer by following 10 simple tips:
- Don't cool an empty house. Set your thermostat higher when you are away.
- Seal holes and cracks around doors and windows with caulk or weather-stripping.
- Replace air filters monthly. Dirty filters make your air conditioner work harder.
- Use a microwave or crockpot instead of the oven. Better yet, grill outdoors.
- Operate appliances in the morning or evening when it is cooler outside.
- When washing dishes or clothes, run full loads.
- Wash laundry in cold water.
- Close blinds and draperies facing the sun to keep out the sun's heat.
- Don't cool unused rooms. Close the vents and shut the door.
- Ceiling fans cool fast and cost less than air conditioning. In hot weather, set your ceiling fan to spin quickly, counterclockwise to push air downward toward the floor.
For more ways to save on summer energy bills, visit pseg.com/saveenergy.